Tuesday, March 19, 2013

Things I am thankful for

What a difference a few months makes in terms of weather and bug population, among other things. Some of us, myself included, have figured out the hard way that Haiti is swarming with mutant, blood-thirsty Mosquitos this time of year. I brushed off bug spray the first day because I assumed the bugs wouldn't be an issue like in years past. Boy was I wrong. 3 out of 5 fingers on one hand have been bitten 4 times and that's just the beginning. So this morning when DeeDee found her anti-itch cream I cried tears of joy. So I'm thankful for that.

But on a serious note there are so many things that I am thankful for here in Haiti and also at home. I am so thankful to have been blessed with a loving family and great friends. I am so very thankful to have been given the opportunities in my life, especially the opportunity to continue to come to Haiti. The friendships I have with the people in Haiti bring indescribable joy into my life. I know I've said it in previous posts but my friends here and the Haitian people in general have impacted my life more than I can even hope I've impacted theirs.

I know that I am speaking for everyone when I say that we as a group are extremely grateful for Pastor Strom. Some of us had a conversation yesterday about the love and compassion he brings to our group. When the original trip dates didn't work for Pastor's schedule and he wasn't going to be able to go, our motivation for the trip changed completely. Pastor is the epitome of a humble leader. He may not know it but we are so thankful for him. He holds nothing back here in Haiti and even at home. He's fearless in his interactions with every person he comes in contact with and shows relentless compassion for all different populations. One huge difference I've seen Pastor make is the changes he's helped my dad make in his relationship with God and his faith in general. My dad will tell you the same thing. Pastor's goals and dreams are contagious and without knowing t he has people reeled in and on board with his missions. Never did I think that I would be spending time in Haiti with my dad because 5 years ago I don't think my dad would consider leaving the comfort of our home in Urbana to spend a week in a third world country. I know that there have been a lot of changes he's made on his own but I know that Pastor has been a huge factor in those changes. So for that and for everything he does I am very thankful for him. (and I think most of you who know him feel the same)

1 comment:

  1. Great to read your comments. Sorry I missed the 'skeeters! I imagine the weather is a bit Warmer too? I agree whole heartedly about your comments regarding Pastor. He IS a special Shepard, friend and spiritual influence. And, one of the most humble people I've had the pleasure to know! B safe,,,,, "Hi" to all

    ReplyDelete