Thursday, January 13, 2011

Orevwa Haiti

It's been 5 days since our return from Haiti and I'm just now feeling like it is time to write my last post.  My mind has been in so many different places and thoughts have yet to stop running through my head.  Being home is very surreal.  I'm throwing myself back into my usual routine but Haiti is on my mind.  Showering without having to turn the water on and off, brushing my teeth with the faucet rather than a bottle of water, and eating food other than rice and beans is now my new routine but to be honest, I do miss living a more simple, but satisfying life in 85 degree weather in a tropical paradise. I decided to take a short trip to Chicago on Monday to see some friends and my sister.  While on the road I got a notification on my phone that one of my friends from Haiti had friended me on Facebook and had sent me a message.  My initial reaction was to scream and then get control of the car because I thought I was going to go into the ditch and then shed a few tears.  I cannot describe my excitement. It felt so nice to be able to tell all of my friends about my trip and show them all of my pictures.  On my drive home I had my ipod on shuffle and We Are the World (the remake for Haiti) came on.  I thought, how ironic, because 1) ever since I returned I had been seeing/hearing so many articles, pictures, etc on Haiti and 2) because it was the one year anniversary of the earthquake.  I broke down...and attempted to sing at the same time, which I assure you was not pretty, but I didn't care.  I loved that song before I went to Haiti but now it just brings back so many beautiful memories. During the song all of the returned and I couldn't help but to smile, cry, and belt out the song all at once.  I hope that Haiti has instilled some changes in my life.  I hope that I am motivated to live my life full of optimism and hope like all of the amazing people that I met in Haiti.  I hope that when life starts to stress me out that I take a seat and remember to live day to day, hour to hour, minute to minute and not sweat the small things because there are many more important things that I need to worry about.  The country and the people inspired me and taught me more than I could have ever imagined that they would and I hope that I did something for them too.  
I will go back. I'm not sure when, but I know that I will.  So, until then, I hope you all have enjoyed my blog and I am so happy that I was able to share with you my experience there.
Thank you all for reading.
More to come. 

1 comment:

  1. Loved reading your blog! Thanks for "your" memories.
    BTW...If you're wondering who this person is, I'm your pastor's brother. Again, thanks for sharing your memories!

    Mike Strom

    ReplyDelete