Thursday, January 6, 2011

Sis

I'm currently lounging on the 3rd floor balcony with my feet on the railing and a Coke by my side, living the life.  There's a sailboat in the distance (we've come to the conclusion that it's full of pirates, Pirates of the Caribbean, get it?...corny, I know).  The water is blue and the sky is clear and Pastor just came up to inform us that we're heading to a bar for some beers in about 15 minutes. This is paradise. 
After completing 3 houses (up to 5 rows high) we started on 2 new ones.  We had to take a small break today (and by small I mean about an hour) waiting on a block delivery.  Sidney (Pastor Marquis' wife) told us that throughout the week we had pushed brick production and it was difficult to keep up with the work...a compliment, I think.  The work day went well and one of the 2 new houses we started on was complete (up to 5 rows).  The first house we started on Monday now has windows on a few of the walls and is the farthest along in terms of progress.  There really isn't much more to say because now that we have been working for 4 days, they all seem to run together.  We've all found our jobs and that is what keeps the work running smoothly.  Today, however, I sensed more relationships forming between our group and the workers that have been with us all week.  While waiting for more bricks Jan and I pulled out pictures of our families to show some of the workers.  (Beckie if you're reading this, they saw your picture and proceeded to say, "Ohhhhhhhh, muy bonita!!"...don't get confused because the men speak Creole but have realized that we really don't but can understand some Spanish, so that's how they communicate to us sometimes)  My dad had some pictures of the snow and icicles from our house so I showed all of our worker friends what beautiful weather we get to enjoy during these winter months. They were pretty impressed.  Now they understand why I kept telling them that I love the weather and scenery in Haiti.  (I'm now writing after our trip from the bar) We cleaned out the bar-keep's stock of beer (oops!) and some of us purchased small bottles of rum for only $2! (Mom, you would love living in Haiti).  Tonight we will enjoy some rum and beer and will probably all sleep like babies.  Tomorrow we will work from 8-10am (maybe a little longer, hopefully at least, I need time with my little kids!) and then will spend the rest of the day at the beach and doing some shopping.  As excited as I am to come home to freezing weather (not), I am also dreading tomorrow a little.  I don't want to have to say goodbye to my friends that I have made here, BUT mi amigo Roberto told me that when I come back I have to call him and he said he will climb the fruit trees and give me some mangos and papayas and will also take me to the beach. What a gentleman! 

Well, it's dinner time and it smells delicious so this is where I will end my post for the evening.  Thank you all for continuing to read my blog and comment on it, it really means a lot to me and the rest of us here.

More to come.

3 comments:

  1. So nice to read about all your adventures! John G.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Megan--we've been following you all week, and sending your blog address to everyone we can think of! Thanks so much for your account of your week in Haiti.
    Sara & Roger

    ReplyDelete
  3. Megan, have a safe trip home and we are all waiting to see more pictures and hear more stories at church! Audrey

    ReplyDelete